A Naval Officer takes a long strange trip to the Desert.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Another week in the can...


Well it's Saturday morning, and I have just about reached the end of another week. It's difficult to tell where one ends and the next begins, since we are only supposed to get a half day off a week. Regardless, I have an excell file that was given to me by my buddy Sgt. Hicks called a "Baghdad Doughnut", that tracks the progress of my deployment. Today it says I am 8% complete. I think it may be a little off though...
I finally got to take a picture on Saddam's big chair. Something that I had been dying to do since I got here. Everyone else climbs in and smiles like an idiot. Not me. Not nearly creative enough for me.
I actually got a dirty look from some asshole Lt. Colonel when I had this shot taken. I don't know what the hell he was thinking....apparently I'm supposed to respect the big chair?!?!
That's something else we have no shortage of over here, Senior Officers. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. 0-4's,5's, and 6's all over the damn place, and all having delusions of promotion.
By the way, I would like to say hi to Peg. Thank you very much for the nice email. It's really nice to get feedback from the people who are actually reading my dribble. I am actually very surprised that I have so many people reading this thing. I only put it together so my family/friends could keep track of me, and I have ended up making a whole bunch of new friends. Including a few guys here who have done the same thing. (see the link to mikes' page on the top right.) Thanks again to everyone who stops by.
-Jason.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What up bro? Good to see you are doing well. Great pic of the chair!
-Bryce

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sr. Officers bothering Jr. Officers? That kind of crap was going on 35 years ago when I was in the Army. Some things never change.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Jason Deitering said...

Hey harp,
I didn't have any intention to rip on the senior officers. I actually don't have a bad thing to say about anyone over here. I got one dirty look in three weeks, which is pretty good. My point was that there are a lot of them around.
The line about "delusions of promotion", well, of course I meant that one...

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's classic, has to be one of the funniest picture I've seen yet...I've been checking out other people's blogs about Iraq since I have a buddy in the navy there as well.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck your couch! I'm Rick James, Bitch!

3:30 AM  
Blogger Jason Deitering said...

"Charlie Murphy!!"

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well aren't we the man... Nice pic of you in the chair. I am glad you can relax just a bit. Just what do you do over there? I am trying to imagine myself in your shoes, so far from home. I just can't though. But I quess this just comes second nature to you? I am waiting on that email from you....get off the THRONE and get to writing..lol...
Take care of yourself...
I will be waiting....
Bye 4 now..
Peg

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought "Rick James" had gone to the big disco in the sky???

10:31 AM  
Blogger Jason Deitering said...

Oh, he did, Peg. He did.
That was actually a reference to the "Dave Chapel Show".
Which I very highly recomend to everyone.
That anonymous writer pulled a GREAT reference which I should have caught much sooner.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are welcome for the Chappelle quote....-Bryce

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason-

You can get me one of those thrones only if you get me the palace to go around it. Love the picture. You nut!

Love you,
Mom

6:52 AM  
Blogger Jason Deitering said...

Gee, I wonder where I get it.

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home